Breeze on By

Everything's Sunny, Everything's Right, Yeah! Summer Days And Nights Just Breeze On By*

Friday, May 19, 2006

Mother and Child Reunion

Well, he's back. He lasted longer than I thought. But I think his financial situation is a whole lot worse than he is letting on.

Yesterday, had a message from Tb. "Call me when you get off work." I could tell by the tone, it wasn't good news. He needs to move home "for a while." I told him I didn't know if that was such a good idea and told him I would call back, I was at the gas station and really didn't want to have this conversation over the phone.

So when I got home, I called him and he came over. We discussed our issues. Like how bad we were getting along when he moved out, how I hardly have time to pick up after myself, how I have enjoyed sleeping at night, how I was ready to move into a cheaper apartment.....etc.

How long is "a while" you ask? So did I. He doesn't know. He has agreed to help with the rent. He has agreed to pick up after himself. He has agreed to act nice. We shall see. I told him that if it wasn't working out, he had to move out July 1st. I am also going to add that if he isn't in college for the fall semester, he needs to be out by September 1st. He's had a year off from school and has got to realize by now, that a college education is no longer optional. It's a requirement.

And how do I feel about this? Well, I guess all along I knew it would happen. So, surprised isn't in the mix. He is my child. I do love him and want to help him when I can. He did tell me that he didn't realize what he had until he lost it. Hopefully he will remember that statement and take this opportunity to get it together. We have been getting along so well since he moved out, I sure hope that doesn't change. Maybe he really does realize that I am not as evil as he first thought.

I found this on another website this morning:

"The secret to successful, stress-free living with adult children is all in the mind!

Remember that you gave them all their values, beliefs and attitudes and put your trust in the way you've brought them up. You can't afford to criticise the way they do things, (or their taste in music, clothes or friends). Put yourself in their place and remember how you feel when anyone scoffs at something you value, and bite your tongue before you make even a light-hearted comment about their latest CD or hairstyle."

I don't know that I can follow that to the letter, but it gives me something to think about.

Wish me luck.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tug said...

LUCK!! Just remember to BE STRONG......& give love.

4:16 PM  
Blogger kT said...

Make him write down what he's agreed to. Before he moves back in -- with details like "I promise to call if I will be home after X hour" and "I will pay Mom X amount on X day for rent." Then make him sign it and post it on the fridge. That's one list of arguments you won't have to have, right?

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home