Breeze on By

Everything's Sunny, Everything's Right, Yeah! Summer Days And Nights Just Breeze On By*

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Great Expectations, Chapter 3

I started this "series" a while back and have procrastinated with this part because I know it will be the hardest one to write. Why? Because it is about me. Just me and how I haven't lived up to my expectations.

There are a lot of shoulds in my life. I should be thin. I should exercise more. I should eat better. I should have more money in savings. I should have more money for retirement. I should have my college degree already. I should have someone to love. I should take a real vacation. I should be a better mother. I should have a nice house. I should have a neat, clean and tidy house. I should have a hobby. I should have more friends. I should work harder. I should take more time off from work. I should call my old friends. I should talk to my brothers. I should be more knowledgeable about current events. I should stop letting things bother me. I should stop worrying so much.

So, what am I going to do? Well, for starters, I have declared July to be a Fast Food-Free Month. I am not allowing myself any fast food, except Subway, because I can eat there without getting stupid. (If you own stock in Wendy's, you may want to sell) I have been a wee bit better about getting to the gym and have even taken a few walks. I bought, and actually ate, fresh fruits and vegies. After just 3.5 days of eating better, I actually feel better. My pants don't feel like a sausage casing and my mind seems clearer. Who knew? At the moment I'm not doing any kind of "diet", just trying to make smarter choices.

We are getting raises next month. I have taken half of my raise amount and am putting it in a 457 plan. It's not alot, but it's better than nothing. I gave my dad the paperwork he needs to take my 401K plans from my past two employers and put them together into one. And who knows, not eating fast-food for a month, may actually leave some extra cash in my account. It could happen.

Classes started again last night. I have speech this quarter and I'm terrified of speaking in front of people. I'm hoping this class will be a life-changing event. I promise I am going into it with a damn good attitude.

I do have to admit to you, dear reader, and especially to myself, that I do feel better than I did a few weeks ago. I don't feel as hopeless as I did. I do think that eventually, I will turn out okay.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tug said...

turn OUT ok? You ARE ok. and beyond. ;-)

6:19 PM  
Blogger Cooth said...

Thanks Tug - You always make me feel so good!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Pink said...

1. you should stop shoulding on yourself!

2. you are perfect as you are. The universe does not make mistakes.

We are not all intended to be thin, nor own the fabulous home. We are here to enjoy this life and maybe if you believe in a higher power, then maybe we are here to learn something.

dont know about you, but lessons usually don't hit me when I'm being pampered in a spa. its usually when I'm struggling my ass off that the lessons hit.

Hope you keep feeling better and better!

And good for you for going back to college. That takes such courage and is such an amazing thing.

I am your fan.
xx
pinks

4:08 PM  
Blogger Cooth said...

Thanks Pink - You have posted some very wise words.

Glad to know you are a fan - cuz I'm so happy that you found my blog so that I could find you!! :o)

2:42 PM  
Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Pink is right! If you get a yen for fast food, go for it. But only if you crave it. Otherwise get yourself some delicious healthy food. As for fabulous homes, mine is a tiny former vacation cottage built in 1910. It is only 420 sq ft! 20 by 22 ft. I am also responsible for repairs and taxes. I realize now that apartment living was easy. In this market it does not make sense to buy.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home