Breeze on By

Everything's Sunny, Everything's Right, Yeah! Summer Days And Nights Just Breeze On By*

Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Dating Game

According to "Best Week Ever" on VH-1, blogs are for people with no social skills.

About a month ago, I re-posted my profile on a dating site. Here are the pathetic results of that decision. I got winks from 2 guys and an e-mail from another. Wink #1 was from a guy who liked my profile, but he would like me to post more photos. He had no photos on his. I don't think he should be asking for more until he gives up at least one.

Wink #2 was from a guy who lists his marital status as "seperated". Ummmm, that's what Tb's father told me about his status. No thanks.

And the brave soul who actually e-mailed. He is a 35 year-old who is looking forward to settling down and starting a family. Sorry, my baby factory is closed. I still like to run the equipment now and then, but we ain't producin' nothin!! No way, no how. So, like the passive/aggressive soul that I am, I ignored it. But then, he sends me another e-mail. This time he gives me his name, his e-mail address and invites me to take dancing lessons with him. Still not interested in a 35 year old who wants to make babies....but....I decide to at least be polite and write back. Okay, it wasn't all just to be polite. Turns out this guy works in the building next door so I thought that maybe he had seen me at some point and really wanted to meet me. Or maybe I almost ran over him in the parking lot we share and he was out for revenge. So anyway, I wanted to at least appear nice.

Well, in the e-mail, I told him that I wasn't interested in dancing - I'm not coordinated and he would need steel-toed boots. Thanks for the offer, take care, have a nice life. Guess what!?! he has steel toed boots!!! And isn't going to go away. He really wants to meet me. So, I agree to meet him. He has a photo, he looks normal, has a decent job - what's the harm? You can't have too many friends, right?

So we decide to meet after work at the Starbucks in our local bookstore. We met at 5:00. By 5:38, I am on my way home. ONLY 5:38? AND, I stopped at the hardware store before I checked the time. (Didn't want him following me home) It seems sooooooooo much later. This guy had the personality of a chair. No, I think I've had more interesting conversations with chairs.

Later that evening I check my e-mail. By 6:05 he had e-mailed me a thank you with an invitation to date him again. I thought and thought and thought some more about how to respond nicely to his request and the best thing I could come up with was "I'd rather have dental work without novacaine." I never responded. Thumper's mom is the wisest of all.

So anyway, the profile is still out there. I'm not holding my breath. Good thing I have an abundance of yarn and cable tv.

6 Comments:

Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

Go get em tigress! He probably did not mean it about the baby. He might just be trying to get laid!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Cooth said...

No way, no how. If his bedroom technique is anything like his conversational technique, I'll be doing all the work, he'll be laying there nodding. If he was super-duper hot, maybe.

He does work in a library, maybe I should send him your way?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Pink said...

Missy - try winking/emailing the ones that catch your eye - you never know what will happen when you take the lead on these online sites.
xx

12:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yeah... "separated". I've heard that one before, too. Guys suck.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Tug said...

I ohso very relunctantly tried a dating site once. Put in my 'area' or whatever. Got e-mails from people in GA, CA, the Carolinas...ha.

Men really do suck. scarletvirago said it best.

;-)

9:28 PM  
Blogger Miss Carnivorous said...

I met a guy on a dating website and he made the down payment on the cottage I live in and remodeled it for me and drove my mom to Chemo for months letting his business suffer in the meantime and also bought me a lot of nice stuff like jewlery. But alas I was cruel to him and he kicked my ungrateful as to the curb. And rightly so. Even so, I can recommend dating sites. I bet he doesn't though.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home