Breeze on By

Everything's Sunny, Everything's Right, Yeah! Summer Days And Nights Just Breeze On By*

Thursday, September 06, 2007

More North Dakota Stuff

Theodore Roosevelt said something like this: Had it not been for my time in North Dakota, I would never have been President.

(I googled the quote - can't find it, but I've heard it enough times to know that it is real. Really.)

So what other famous people have come from North Dakota? Well, here are a few......

Lawrence Welk - And a one, and a two....strap on your accordion and start the bubble machine! (The clarinet player on the Lawrence Welk show, Henry Cuesta, was a major inspiration in my life.) Lawrence Welk was born and raised in Strasburg. His home is now a museum dedicated to his life.
Roger Maris- 61 in '61. Born in Fargo, played for the New York Yankees. Buried in the same cemetary as Sanchez's uncle.
Eric Sevaried - Journalist and author. Born in Velva, smoked cigarettes on the air at CBS.
Louis L'Amour - Born in Jamestown, wrote over 100 books. I've read zero of them - don't like westerns.
Angie Dickinson - Yep, Sgt. Pepper Anderson was born and raised in Kulm. My parents live pretty close to Kulm, I think of Angie every time I drive by....
Phil Jackson - Born in Deer Lodge, Montana, but raised in Williston, North Dakota - coached the Chicago Bulls to SIX NBA championships! Dude!
Warren Christopher - One of our country's Secretaries of State was born in my home state. Scranton to be exact. I've been to Scranton....Right Tug?
Bobby Vee - Had it not been for Buddy Holly's death, Bobby may never have been famous. "Devil or Angel"? You decide. Another native of Fargo. Playing in Branson, MO most of this month!


This will definitely be continued....

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Then there's always my personal favorite, Jonny Lang. Soulful AND delicious!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Cooth said...

Oh yeah - for sure!! He is up next in part two!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home